David Porter, John Cassano, Mark Serreze, David Kindig, "New estimates of the large-scale Arctic atmospheric energy budget." Journal Of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, 2010.
- B.Sc. in Meteorology, Rutgers University, 2006
- Ph.D in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Univ. of Colorado at Boulder, 2011
- 2016-present: Associate Research Science
- LDEO, Columbia Univ.
- Aerogeophysics over Ice Sheets
- 2012 - 2016: Postdoctoral Research Scientist
- LDEO, Columbia Univ.
- Ice-ocean Interactions using new bathymetry under floating ice from airborne gravity
- Supervisor: Robin Bell and Jim Cochran
- Airborne Geophysics
- Gravity team with NASA Operation IceBridge (2018)
- Deployed 3 seasons to McMurdo with NSF sponsored ROSETTA-Ice project (2015-2017)
- Airborne Science lead with British Antarctic Survey Thwaites aerosurvey (2019)
- WRF, PolarWRF, MAR, etc.
- mitGCM, GOTM
- Gravity Inversions (GMSYS, python)
- Python, R, FORTRAN, NCL, etc.
Analysis of the Arctic atmospheric energy budget in WRF: A comparison with reanalyses and satellite observations
David Porter, John Cassano, Mark Serreze, "Analysis of the Arctic atmospheric energy budget in WRF: A comparison with reanalyses and satellite observations." Journal Of Geophysical Research, 2011.
Local and large-scale atmospheric responses to reduced Arctic sea ice and ocean warming in the WRF model
David Porter, John Cassano, Mark Serreze, "Local and large-scale atmospheric responses to reduced Arctic sea ice and ocean warming in the WRF model." Journal Of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, 2012.
David Porter, Kirsty Tinto, Alexandra Boghosian, James Cochran, Robin Bell, Serdar Manizade, John Sonntag, "Bathymetric control of tidewater glacier mass loss in northwest Greenland." Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2014.
Alexandra Boghosian, Kirsty Tinto, James Cochran, David Porter, Stefan Elieff, Bethany Burton, Robin Bell, "Resolving bathymetry from airborne gravity along Greenland fjords." Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 2015.
F Nitsche, D Porter, G Williams, E Cougnon, A Fraser, R Correia, R Guerrero, "Bathymetric control of warm ocean water access along the East Antarctic Margin." Geophysical Research Letters, 2017.
David Porter, Kirsty Tinto, Alexandra Boghosian, Beata Csatho, Robin Bell, James Cochran, "Identifying Spatial Variability in Greenland's Outlet Glacier Response to Ocean Heat." Frontiers in Earth Science, 2018.
K. Tinto, L Padman, C Siddoway, S Springer, H Fricker, I Das, F Caratori, D.F. Porter, N Frearson, S Howard, M Siegfried, C Mosbeux, M Becker, C Bertinato, A Boghosian, N Brady, B Burton, W Chu, S Cordero, T Dhakal, L Dong, C Gustafson, S Keeshin, C Locke, A Lockett, G O'Brien, J Spergel, S Starke, M Tankersley, M Wearing, R Bell, "Ross Ice Shelf response to climate driven by the tectonic imprint on seafloor bathymetry." Nature Geoscience, 2019.
Evolution of the Seasonal Surface Mixed Layer of the Ross Sea, Antarctica, Observed With Autonomous Profiling Floats
David F. Porter1 , Scott R. Springer2 , Laurie Padman3 , Helen A. Fricker4 , Kirsty J. Tinto1 , Stephen C. Riser5 , Robin E. Bell1 , and the ROSETTA‐Ice Team "Evolution of the Seasonal Surface Mixed Layer of the Ross Sea, Antarctica, Observed With Autonomous Profiling Floats." JGR: Oceans, 2019.
Talk at UNCW, Wilmington, NC, USA
Service and leadership
- SSFRP mentor (2016-present)